Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Lilian Brooker
Printer problem in Windows can be frustrating and can cost you a lot of money and time. Printer not responding issue is one of the main problems that Windows 10 users face. However, you can address this problem using various methods such as those discussed below.
Table of Contents
Check the Printer Connections
The first thing you have to do is to check all your printer connections. Check whether they are properly plugged into your laptop or desktop. If there are many printers connected to your computer via USB ports; try to connect the printer to another USB port available. In the case of Wi-Fi printers, check the authenticity and connectivity of your Wi-Fi network because there are many cases when the printer is unable to detect the exact network name.
Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Run the printer troubleshooter in Windows 10 to solve the printer not responding problem.
- Open the in-built troubleshooter in the Windows 10 by pressing Win + R shortcut keys.
- Once you open the troubleshooter, enter exe/id Printer Diagnostic and opt for Return. In the next window that opens, click on the Advanced button and select Run as Administrator.
- Now press Next button to detect the printer issues by scanning it.
Update the Printer Device Driver
One of the main reasons that your printers do not work may be the faulty or outdated device drivers. Even though Windows will update the device driver automatically, it is always better to check it manually as well. This will be useful especially when you have not enabled the automatic Windows Update service. Follow the steps to update your printer’s device driver.
- Open the digital assistant Cortana in Windows 10 and enter Devices and Printers into it. This will let you open the Control Panel tab directly, where you can see all your printers.
- If there is a yellow exclamation mark near any of your printers or if it does not appear at all, you have to update the driver for that printer. Here, you can also find the printer model number and name; note this down.
- Go to your printer manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for the printer as per the model number and name you noted earlier. You can do this by entering the Printer Device Drivers in the search box.
- Run and install the device driver properly.