Last Updated on May 14, 2022 by Carlo Dach
If an HP printer is connected to a wireless network, and the connection drops while printing, its status will be listed as offline on the PC. However, you can follow the basic troubleshooting steps for HP printer not connecting issue and make optimal use of its wireless capabilities.
Reboot the PC, Printer, and Wireless Router
If you are downloading something on the computer, stop it prior to proceeding with the below steps:
- Turn off the Wi-Fi router by unplugging its power cord or pressing its power button.
- Shut down the printer, and disconnect its Ethernet or USB cables.
- Exit all running programs on the PC, and shut it down.
- Turn on the router, and wait for its activity light to show connected status.
- Turn the printer back on, followed by the system.
In case the wireless connection is still dropping, move on to the next step.
Change the Name of Wireless Network
Changing the SSID of Wi-Fi network that is used to connect to the printer might resolve the HP printer not connecting to the device problem. If you have several routers with the same SSID, changing one to make routers identifiable will fix the issue due to wrong wireless connection or drops in the connection.
Note that after altering the wireless network name, you should reconnect compatible devices or a computer to the right network as the printer was connected to.
Common Printer Issues
On the setup page of the router, find the menu that let users alter the network name.
- Assign a new name that is unique and memorable, and save the changes.
- Reconnect the HP printer to the new Wi-Fi network.
- If your HP printer has text-based and LCD control panel, then choose Setup > Network menu or Wireless menu, and choose Wireless Setup Wizard. Then, follow the prompts shown on its LCD screen for connecting the HP printer to the network.
- If your printer has a basic control panel with buttons, press on the Wi-Fi router’s WPS button when the wireless light blinks on the printer, and wait for it to establish a new connection to the network.
In case following the above steps does not help to reestablish the connection, contact HP printer support professionals for a thorough diagnosis of the wireless printer.